Saturday, August 29, 2009

Terres Dorees Jean-Paul Brun 2007 Beaujolais Blanc (Chardonnay)

This is the first time I've blogged a still chardonnay. It's not that I dislike the grape, but that there is a long list of white grapes that come first in my heart: Riesling: always first, then Muscat or Viognier, then Gewurztraminer, then Verdejo (which I've just learned), and perhaps then Chardonnay, too often bottled only after years in new oak, which can flavor the wine to the exclusion of other influences. But no oak here. Just chardonnay and a winemaking style that allows it to flourish. Surprise! What Beaujolais winemakers do for Gamay, they can do for Chardonnay.

Medium golden color, hint of petillance on opening, blows off quickly.

Smell of pear and minerals, floral notes.

Buttery peach flavor, lemon, almonds, apples.

A winning bottle for $17.99, exactly the right thing to re-introduce me to chardonnay. I still dread over-oaked examples, though.

No comments:

Post a Comment