Friday, August 29, 2008

Chateau de La Chaize 2004 Brouilly

Mild tawny color, tending to orange. Smell of raspberry, strawberry. The heavy degree of oak seems a surprise in a Beaujolais. Fresh strawberry / raspberry taste, some vanillany oak. Trace of the vinegar characteristic of carbonic maceration. Petillance noticeable to the eye and the tongue.

Removing the stopper he next day, the room fills with the smell of strawberry fruit. Some cherry flavor develops along with berries, the oak remains distinct.

I’m not entirely convinced that the degree of oak is appropriate here, but I have learned that Chateau de La Chaize will readily tolerate ten or fifteen years of age, while Brouilly isn’t often thought of as a particularly age-worthy Beaujolais, so I accept this as what it is, and I move on. I’d happily buy this again for $19.79, but there’s a lot of good wine in that price range.

No comments:

Post a Comment