Monday, November 10, 2008

Zonte's Footstep 2004 Langhorne Creek Shiraz Viognier

1988's "The New Frank Schoonmaker Encyclopedia of Wine" by Alexis Bespaloff says, of Viognier
a rare but celebrated grape of the northern Rhone Valley ... There are fewer than 100 acres of this variety...


While much of this was vinified into the white wines of Condrieu and Chateau-Grillet, it was relatively common to blend a small amount of Viognier with Syrah for a flowery aroma and for lively acid, both of which Syrah can lack.

Viognier has since had quite a revival, in France and the US, and particularly in Australia. There are now rather more than 100 acres grown. This wine is 93% Shiraz, 7% Viognier.

On unscrewing the cap, I found a crust of sediment had formed just beneath that cap. This probably contributed to the slightly cloudy appearance of this dark ruby wine. It suggests, I think, too-cold storage with the bottle upside down.

Black cherry and plum scents, and blackberry.

Blackberry and stone fruit flavors with black pepper. Oak is noticeable in the background, but in no way does it dominate the ripe fruit but it compliments it well.

The next day it remains ripe, juicy, and delicious. I'm a fan.

The crust I saw worries me a little, mostly about how the bottle was kept, and I'd be slow to buy this again for $18.29, but I know the 2006 is available, and I may well try that.

No comments:

Post a Comment